I am aware of the fact that a thread like this could generate some debate, but since the focus of this site is so much on a potential clean energy solution, I think it would be appropriate today to throw the floor open to people who want to discuss the just-released summary of research findings on climate change from the Intergovernmental Panel on Climate Change (IPCC).
Some of the key items in the report which cites over 9,000 separate publications are:
- It is ‘extremely likely’ (95 per cent certain) that human activity — primarily burning of fossil fuels — is responsible for global warming.
- It is projected that global temperatures will rise between 0.3 to 4.8 degrees C by the end of this century.
- Global temperatures rose 0.85 C between 1880 and 2012
- There has been no significant rise in air temperatures measured for 15 years — but that is unlikely to last.
- Sea levels are expected to rise a further 10-32 inches (26-82 centimeters) by the end of the century.
Despite the acknowledgement of a ‘pause’ in global warming, this report stresses the situation is urgent, and I am sure there will be no let up from most policymakers in the drive to cut carbon emissions. Perhaps this will eventually lead to a greater enthusiasm for LENR technology solutions.
Below is the link to the ‘Summary for Policymakers’ document that was released today. The full report will be published next week.
This is an open thread for discussion of the report. Feel free to say what you think, but please be respectful in your comments.